Much has been made about the divide between law enforcement and citizens recently in the wake of Ferguson, Missouri. I think it’s understandable that many of us have difficulty making sense of the violent reaction to police and the deep-seated mistrust in some communities.
Research from a nonprofit group of public defenders in Missouri may shed some light on one of the factors — money.
It’s referred to as “for-profit policing” and the numbers are staggering. Imagine you lived in a community where the AVERAGE is 1.5 cases and three warrants per household. Fines and court fees for the year in this city of just 21,000 people totaled $2,635,400.
This might drastically change the way you view a police officer in your neighborhood. Are they there to protect and serve or is this just another way to generate revenue for the city?
It’s one thing to set up speed traps, it’s another thing entirely to target poor people with monetary fines they can’t pay, and then throw them in jail for failure to pay. Then fine them again.
The end result is a person with a criminal record, jail time and an unpaid debt to the city. This directly impacts his or her ability to find and keep a job, which in many cases starts the cycle all over again.
And you wonder why some communities see police as the problem, not the answer.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier