DeAngelo Williams is a running back for the Carolina Panthers. He’s pretty good (I had him on my fantasy team a few years ago) and apparently a nice guy.
Monday he tweeted a picture of a Marine sitting in the boarding area before a flight, coupled with DeAngelo’s first-class ticket. His way of showing respect and support for the troops this Fourth of July weekend was to give his seat up to this veteran. Awesome right? Yay, DeAngelo!
— DeAngelo Williams (@DeAngeloRB) July 7, 2014
Then it got weird.
Firstly, there is an argument about doing the right thing without having to take credit for it on Twitter and reaping the PR from it, but I digress.
Secondly, and most disturbingly, is the argument that has broken out over is the man in the picture an actual Marine. To the civilians amongst us, he certainly looks like a Marine, with all the badges, accessories and accoutrements we expect to see in a military uniform.
But if I am to believe the Marines who have weighed in on this, this man is certainly no Marine and is actually violating the Stolen Valor law. The problem seems to center around HOW he is wearing the uniform, from his cover (hat) being worn indoors to the placement of the medals to the fact “dress blues” are not supposed to be worn while traveling.
It is certainly not DeAngelo’s fault for not knowing the Marines’ detailed dress code, and a lot of people appreciate the gesture either way, but sadly it may make some people think twice before doing something similar.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns