DeAngelo Williams is a running back for the Carolina Panthers. He’s pretty good (I had him on my fantasy team a few years ago) and apparently a nice guy.
Monday he tweeted a picture of a Marine sitting in the boarding area before a flight, coupled with DeAngelo’s first-class ticket. His way of showing respect and support for the troops this Fourth of July weekend was to give his seat up to this veteran. Awesome right? Yay, DeAngelo!
— DeAngelo Williams (@DeAngeloRB) July 7, 2014
Then it got weird.
Firstly, there is an argument about doing the right thing without having to take credit for it on Twitter and reaping the PR from it, but I digress.
Secondly, and most disturbingly, is the argument that has broken out over is the man in the picture an actual Marine. To the civilians amongst us, he certainly looks like a Marine, with all the badges, accessories and accoutrements we expect to see in a military uniform.
But if I am to believe the Marines who have weighed in on this, this man is certainly no Marine and is actually violating the Stolen Valor law. The problem seems to center around HOW he is wearing the uniform, from his cover (hat) being worn indoors to the placement of the medals to the fact “dress blues” are not supposed to be worn while traveling.
It is certainly not DeAngelo’s fault for not knowing the Marines’ detailed dress code, and a lot of people appreciate the gesture either way, but sadly it may make some people think twice before doing something similar.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night