DeAngelo Williams is a running back for the Carolina Panthers. He’s pretty good (I had him on my fantasy team a few years ago) and apparently a nice guy.
Monday he tweeted a picture of a Marine sitting in the boarding area before a flight, coupled with DeAngelo’s first-class ticket. His way of showing respect and support for the troops this Fourth of July weekend was to give his seat up to this veteran. Awesome right? Yay, DeAngelo!
— DeAngelo Williams (@DeAngeloRB) July 7, 2014
Then it got weird.
Firstly, there is an argument about doing the right thing without having to take credit for it on Twitter and reaping the PR from it, but I digress.
Secondly, and most disturbingly, is the argument that has broken out over is the man in the picture an actual Marine. To the civilians amongst us, he certainly looks like a Marine, with all the badges, accessories and accoutrements we expect to see in a military uniform.
But if I am to believe the Marines who have weighed in on this, this man is certainly no Marine and is actually violating the Stolen Valor law. The problem seems to center around HOW he is wearing the uniform, from his cover (hat) being worn indoors to the placement of the medals to the fact “dress blues” are not supposed to be worn while traveling.
It is certainly not DeAngelo’s fault for not knowing the Marines’ detailed dress code, and a lot of people appreciate the gesture either way, but sadly it may make some people think twice before doing something similar.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development