Has it been a year already?
I know I’m not the only one thinking that on Monday’s one-year anniversary of the tragedy on Yarnell Hill.
At some point, “we” went back to our normal lives, and only in the past few days spent any time thinking about where we were when we first heard the news or how we couldn’t control the tears seeing the procession of vans carrying the 19 fallen members of the Granite Mountain Hotshot Crew into Phoenix.
Here in Prescott, they’ve never forgotten, not even for a minute.
Everywhere you go, you’ll see ribbons, signs, t-shirts and a variety of other remembrances of “The 19,” and that doesn’t even count the ones that went up this week for the solemn anniversary. From storefronts to truck bumpers, The 19 are part of everyday life up here on the hill. Unlike tragedy in a big city like Phoenix, this was personal. You’ve heard of “six degrees of separation”? In Prescott, no one is more than two degrees removed from one of The 19.
In the immediate aftermath of the tragedy, this community rallied around each other and supported the families, survivors and each other. Sadly, that spirit has become fractured as lawsuits, political infighting and finger-pointing took over. In Prescott, it’s hard to talk about The 19 without one of the aforementioned subjects coming up. The future of the Granite Mountain Hotshots is in limbo as we speak, with no firm answers or decisions made on even continuing the work started 12 years ago when the Hotshots division was founded.
My wish on this one-year anniversary is for all the people involved to remember how they were united in honoring the sacrifice, selflessness and sense of duty these men showed and find a way to work past their differences.
We all owe that to The 19.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier