Well that didn’t take long.
Three wrong-way driver fatal accidents in one week have left people asking “what can be done?” Seven deaths directly attributed to people (most likely impaired) barreling toward oncoming traffic, and in each case, killing innocent people following the traffic laws.
In the wake of these tragedies, I’ve heard talk of devices to disable cars entering freeways in the wrong direction, technology that slows or stops vehicles if they are in the wrong lanes and better use of the overhead freeways signs. All seem like a good start and worthy of discussion
But on Sunday, when law enforcement and transportation officials got together for an emergency meeting, they predictably took this crisis as an opportunity to score political points and make it about the state’s budget issues. Which brings me to this famous quote:
“To a carpenter with a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.”
Roger Vanderpool, former DPS director, apparently knows how to stop cars traveling 70 mph in the wrong direction on Valley freeways. You guessed it, more money for DPS.
“We lost a lot of officers due to budget cuts over the past several years and I think getting agencies back up to strength is a huge way to deal with combating it.”
This statement comes after the third wrong-way driver crash early Sunday morning when by the police’s own account they had eight law enforcement vehicles attempting to stop this driver. If eight isn’t enough Mr. Vanderpool, how many are? Nine? Twelve? Sixty four?
Add to it the admission by law enforcement that they don’t have a protocol or system for dealing with these incidents and I fail to see what the number of officers on duty has to do with it other than more people to clean up the accident after it happens.
Unless Vanderpool is suggesting placing a DPS patrol car on every freeway off-ramp 24/7 to stop possible wrong way drivers before they enter the road, stop using the lives of these victims to argue for more funding. It’s disgraceful.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier