Michael Sam was drafted in the seventh (and final) round by the St. Louis Rams over the weekend. Being the first openly gay football player in America, the cameras were trained on him as he received “the call” informing him he would be the next player chosen. For those that hoped Mr. Sam would hide his sexual preference, try to blend in and never bring up the “gay” thing again, your hopes were dashed when he hung up the phone, began to cry and kissed his boyfriend. ON TV!
Courageously, Michal Sam is not trying to run away from who he is, and like almost all the other draft picks who planted a wet one on their girlfriends or wives, Michael did the same with his chosen partner.
Good for him.
And while the reaction was predictable from a segment of our population still struggling with their own sexuality enough to feel threatened by someone else’s, I hope he does not let that deter him from being the athlete, professional and man he chooses to be. It remains to be seen if the hyper-macho world of the NFL will accept him, but it seems the Rams are a good fit.
The challenge for Michael Sam begins now, since making an NFL roster as a seventh-round pick is by no means guaranteed. Regardless of how his professional football career plays out, the bigger challenge will always be with those who do not accept him for the way he is, something millions of Americans who don’t play football know so very well.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.