Michael Sam was drafted in the seventh (and final) round by the St. Louis Rams over the weekend. Being the first openly gay football player in America, the cameras were trained on him as he received “the call” informing him he would be the next player chosen. For those that hoped Mr. Sam would hide his sexual preference, try to blend in and never bring up the “gay” thing again, your hopes were dashed when he hung up the phone, began to cry and kissed his boyfriend. ON TV!
Courageously, Michal Sam is not trying to run away from who he is, and like almost all the other draft picks who planted a wet one on their girlfriends or wives, Michael did the same with his chosen partner.
Good for him.
And while the reaction was predictable from a segment of our population still struggling with their own sexuality enough to feel threatened by someone else’s, I hope he does not let that deter him from being the athlete, professional and man he chooses to be. It remains to be seen if the hyper-macho world of the NFL will accept him, but it seems the Rams are a good fit.
The challenge for Michael Sam begins now, since making an NFL roster as a seventh-round pick is by no means guaranteed. Regardless of how his professional football career plays out, the bigger challenge will always be with those who do not accept him for the way he is, something millions of Americans who don’t play football know so very well.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development