Michael Sam was drafted in the seventh (and final) round by the St. Louis Rams over the weekend. Being the first openly gay football player in America, the cameras were trained on him as he received “the call” informing him he would be the next player chosen. For those that hoped Mr. Sam would hide his sexual preference, try to blend in and never bring up the “gay” thing again, your hopes were dashed when he hung up the phone, began to cry and kissed his boyfriend. ON TV!
Courageously, Michal Sam is not trying to run away from who he is, and like almost all the other draft picks who planted a wet one on their girlfriends or wives, Michael did the same with his chosen partner.
Good for him.
And while the reaction was predictable from a segment of our population still struggling with their own sexuality enough to feel threatened by someone else’s, I hope he does not let that deter him from being the athlete, professional and man he chooses to be. It remains to be seen if the hyper-macho world of the NFL will accept him, but it seems the Rams are a good fit.
The challenge for Michael Sam begins now, since making an NFL roster as a seventh-round pick is by no means guaranteed. Regardless of how his professional football career plays out, the bigger challenge will always be with those who do not accept him for the way he is, something millions of Americans who don’t play football know so very well.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains