Who cares what California thinks?!
That seems to be the prevailing argument from the proponents of SB1062, the bill providing legal protection to businesses that deny goods or services on religious grounds. Arizona should be able to pass and enact laws as it sees fit and the will of the people should be done!
And if that were happening in Arizona, I’d say you’d have a good argument. Sadly, it appears that on a state level, our Legislature stopped serving the will of the people long ago and instead is pandering to minority constituencies, campaign donors and potential primary voters.
All you have to look at are the latest public opinion polls to see that while a “majority” of the Arizona State Legislature passed this bill, they most certainly are not representing a majority of the population.
Don’t believe me? Three Republican state senators who voted FOR the bill last week came out against it Monday. What sounded good in the chambers and halls of the Capitol most certainly did not sit well with the people of their district, the companies/employees impacted and dare I say, at church on Sunday!
So we are back to a small group of people dragging the image (and economic recovery) of Arizona down in an obvious attempt to curry favors with a small, but passionate group of voters and donors.
The minute this bill passed the House, the response from the business community was swift and clear. We are teetering on an economic recovery, and competing with other states for industry and jobs. WHY would you drive this wedge through the state and make the decision to NOT choose Arizona that much easier for the business community?
Let’s hope Gov. Brewer not only vetoes this bad bill, but makes a public show of it so the rest of the country can see that Arizona is NOT this intolerant and IS open for business!
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon