How many of you remember the tragic, frantic and panicked calls from people on the top floors of the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001?
Recently, we heard the cries/screams of what prosecutors told us was a young man, Trayvon Martin, in the process of being shot and killed in the background of a 911 call.
And now, we have the release of the Sandy Hook calls. Terrified teachers and administrators begging for help as a gunman roamed the halls murdering people.
What I don’t understand is why the 9/11 and Trayvon Martin 911 calls were everywhere and accepted as a part of telling the story of those two tragedies, but the Sandy Hook calls are treated with kid gloves.
Because 3,000 deaths are faceless and overwhelming, one death is manageable but 26 people (many of the children) is too painful?
And spare me the fake outrage. In a week where pictures and video of actor Paul Walker’s fatal car crash were posted and played ad nauseam, the argument that the release of the Sandy Hook 911 calls would “cause the family pain” falls on deaf ears when we regularly ignore the pain of victims’ families as long as there is good video or they were a celebrity.
There are plenty of instances where the release of 911 calls have completely changed the “official” story and or led to new investigations, exonerations and a shift in the narrative of a tragedy.
“Sunlight is the best disinfectant” and I’ll side with transparency and openness as opposed to trusting the gatekeepers with what information we, the public, can handle.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas