As we celebrate Veteran’s Day 2013, Army vet Chris Marvin is challenging me to rethink my standard response to meeting those who served in our military.
I had no idea that “Thank you for your service” made some vets feel uncomfortable or even unworthy. While it may be uncomfortable to have the discussion, I think it’s important civilians find a way to show gratitude without causing pain or stress.
And let me throw this in: should “Thank you for your service” be reserved to those who were drafted, many against their will? It strikes me that some of the discomfort comes from people who volunteered and knew exactly what they were signing up for.
If you chose to join, were trained and were paid to it, does that deserve the same level of appreciation as 18- year-olds who “lost” the lottery and were sent halfway across the globe against their will?
I’d really like to hear from the vets out there to help us civvies get this right.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development