As we celebrate Veteran’s Day 2013, Army vet Chris Marvin is challenging me to rethink my standard response to meeting those who served in our military.
I had no idea that “Thank you for your service” made some vets feel uncomfortable or even unworthy. While it may be uncomfortable to have the discussion, I think it’s important civilians find a way to show gratitude without causing pain or stress.
And let me throw this in: should “Thank you for your service” be reserved to those who were drafted, many against their will? It strikes me that some of the discomfort comes from people who volunteered and knew exactly what they were signing up for.
If you chose to join, were trained and were paid to it, does that deserve the same level of appreciation as 18- year-olds who “lost” the lottery and were sent halfway across the globe against their will?
I’d really like to hear from the vets out there to help us civvies get this right.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night