As we celebrate Veteran’s Day 2013, Army vet Chris Marvin is challenging me to rethink my standard response to meeting those who served in our military.
I had no idea that “Thank you for your service” made some vets feel uncomfortable or even unworthy. While it may be uncomfortable to have the discussion, I think it’s important civilians find a way to show gratitude without causing pain or stress.
And let me throw this in: should “Thank you for your service” be reserved to those who were drafted, many against their will? It strikes me that some of the discomfort comes from people who volunteered and knew exactly what they were signing up for.
If you chose to join, were trained and were paid to it, does that deserve the same level of appreciation as 18- year-olds who “lost” the lottery and were sent halfway across the globe against their will?
I’d really like to hear from the vets out there to help us civvies get this right.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food