Careful what you wish for.
“Congress needs to get back to work!”
“Re-open Government so we can move forward!”
“We can’t afford for this to continue!”
I can make the argument we can’t afford the alternative. The landmark McConnell-Reid bill that ended the shutdown and averted breaching the debt-ceiling was not a “clean Continuing Resolution,” as asked for by the president and some lawmakers.
We learned Thursday that wedged into the required and necessary bill that opened up America for business, there were some things few people would consider necessary and required.
For example, the man whose NAME is on the bill, Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky apparently would only attach his fine name if it included a $3 BILLION earmark to build a damn in Paducah, Ky. (Side note, I’ve been to Paducah and wouldn’t give you $3 billion for the entire place.)
McConnell is concerned about his re-election chances and wasn’t going to agree to ANYTHING, unless it included the ability for him to spread some of YOUR tax dollars around Kentucky. “Hi, I’m Mitch and I’m bringing home the bacon to YOU! Vote for me.”
So while the Sequestration and Government Shutdown have actually saved taxpayers from oppressive, wasteful — dare I say — fraudulent spending on behalf of Congress, now that we have a three-month extension, Congress can get back to the important work of spending money we don’t have on things we don’t need.
Hooray for compromise!
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets