Stop me if you think you’ve heard this one before.
From the Great Sequestration of 2013:
“Now, what’s important to understand is that not everyone will feel the pain of these cuts right away. The pain, though, will be real.” – President Barack Obama, 3/1/13
From the Government Shutdown of 2013:
“What we see happening with this Republican strategy is a willingness to threaten the very foundation of the world’s greatest economic power. That is a very risky proposition.” – White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, 10/1/13
And from the looming Inaugural Debt Ceiling Default:
“The debt ceiling is such a calamitous possibility that you could go into a recession or even a depression worse than Lehman Brothers and AIG in 2008…” — Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., 10/7/13
I think the reason many people are neither worried or worked up over the Oct. 17 debt ceiling deadline is that Washington, D.C. has been predicting the “end of the world as we know it” with alarming regularity. You can only cry “wolf” so many times before we start tuning you out.
Now, I don’t know what would happen should we not raise the debt ceiling and that puts me in the vast majority. Since it’s never happened, the assumption is some sort of cataclysmic economic event but then again I’ve heard those predictions before. Still waiting.
So after seven months of “draconian sequestration cuts” and 14 days of a partial government shutdown, the one thing I know to be true is to NOT listen to the dire predictions of any of our “leaders” since they obviously have no idea what they are talking about.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon