Stop me if you think you’ve heard this one before.
From the Great Sequestration of 2013:
“Now, what’s important to understand is that not everyone will feel the pain of these cuts right away. The pain, though, will be real.” – President Barack Obama, 3/1/13
From the Government Shutdown of 2013:
“What we see happening with this Republican strategy is a willingness to threaten the very foundation of the world’s greatest economic power. That is a very risky proposition.” – White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, 10/1/13
And from the looming Inaugural Debt Ceiling Default:
“The debt ceiling is such a calamitous possibility that you could go into a recession or even a depression worse than Lehman Brothers and AIG in 2008…” — Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., 10/7/13
I think the reason many people are neither worried or worked up over the Oct. 17 debt ceiling deadline is that Washington, D.C. has been predicting the “end of the world as we know it” with alarming regularity. You can only cry “wolf” so many times before we start tuning you out.
Now, I don’t know what would happen should we not raise the debt ceiling and that puts me in the vast majority. Since it’s never happened, the assumption is some sort of cataclysmic economic event but then again I’ve heard those predictions before. Still waiting.
So after seven months of “draconian sequestration cuts” and 14 days of a partial government shutdown, the one thing I know to be true is to NOT listen to the dire predictions of any of our “leaders” since they obviously have no idea what they are talking about.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths