First off, I guess it’s fair to say I don’t really HAVE a problem with Syria. Sure, I wish the Syrians weren’t fighting a civil war and killing tens of thousands of people.
I’d prefer nobody was using chemical weapons and wouldn’t it be nice if every religious group in the Middle East got along.
I also think it would be kinda cool if pigs could fly.
But I have some very serious questions that nobody can seem to answer.
1. Why do we assume that the “rebels” would run Syria, (and treat other Syrians) any better than President Bashar al-Assad? What is the guarantee that “if” Assad is removed, these guys will be any better and/or will be friendly towards the United States?
2. What specific national security threat does Syria pose? And if the possession of weapons of mass destruction is the only answer, doesn’t that place another half-dozen countries on the attack list?
3. What does President Obama know that the other world leaders don’t know? Why is he so convinced to use our military when other countries aren’t?
4. It’s estimated the civil war in Syria has claimed 100,000 lives. Why did it take the deaths of 300 in a chemical attack for anyone to “care”? If Assad killed a million with knives and guns would we just keep wagging our finger?
5. Is Syria worth reigniting the cold war with Russia and China and ratcheting it up to lukewarm?
6. And finally, just because we can reach out an strike any nation at any time, does that mean we should?
I have never thought of myself as anti-war and, as a matter of fact, think armed conflict is a great way to solve differences between nations.
Granted that’s mainly because we have the largest military in the world and I know we can win any fight. I just can’t seem to find a good reason to pick on Syria today nor am I convinced “winning” would look any different than “losing.”
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development