First off, I guess it’s fair to say I don’t really HAVE a problem with Syria. Sure, I wish the Syrians weren’t fighting a civil war and killing tens of thousands of people.
I’d prefer nobody was using chemical weapons and wouldn’t it be nice if every religious group in the Middle East got along.
I also think it would be kinda cool if pigs could fly.
But I have some very serious questions that nobody can seem to answer.
1. Why do we assume that the “rebels” would run Syria, (and treat other Syrians) any better than President Bashar al-Assad? What is the guarantee that “if” Assad is removed, these guys will be any better and/or will be friendly towards the United States?
2. What specific national security threat does Syria pose? And if the possession of weapons of mass destruction is the only answer, doesn’t that place another half-dozen countries on the attack list?
3. What does President Obama know that the other world leaders don’t know? Why is he so convinced to use our military when other countries aren’t?
4. It’s estimated the civil war in Syria has claimed 100,000 lives. Why did it take the deaths of 300 in a chemical attack for anyone to “care”? If Assad killed a million with knives and guns would we just keep wagging our finger?
5. Is Syria worth reigniting the cold war with Russia and China and ratcheting it up to lukewarm?
6. And finally, just because we can reach out an strike any nation at any time, does that mean we should?
I have never thought of myself as anti-war and, as a matter of fact, think armed conflict is a great way to solve differences between nations.
Granted that’s mainly because we have the largest military in the world and I know we can win any fight. I just can’t seem to find a good reason to pick on Syria today nor am I convinced “winning” would look any different than “losing.”
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns