Fast-food workers striking for living wage? So how much would a burger cost?
Fair enough. Arnobio Morelix, a research assistant at the University of Kansas School of Business, points out not as much as you might think. My bigger issue is the idea that working the drive-thru window or fry machine is “worth” $15 an hour or that you should be able to raise a family of four on it. These jobs were created to give young people (mostly teenagers) their first job. Teach them responsibility, how to work with others and the public, what it’s like to have a boss, etc. Far be it from me to tell people how to earn a living, but few of us believe busing tables at Mickey D’s constitutes a “career.”
Of course, these strikes are being driven by unions that see this as an opportunity to add to their shrinking membership rolls and are hoping to do to the fast-food industry what they did to the steel and auto industries.
On a side note, maybe an increase in fast-food prices will have the impact of fewer people eating there, thereby leading to layoffs of the newly unionized workers and a healthier nation.
One can only dream.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development