Why is ANYONE surprised that the IRS spent $50 million on conferences and videotaped themselves dancing at them?
It’s amazing how you can justify spending other people’s money (OPM) and things necessary to the basic functioning of government, such as lavish conventions in far-flung locations, all on the taxpayer’s dime. But it’s way too easy to poke fun at the “wisdom” of any taxpayer-funded entity living it up on “OPM,” so we’ll let the video speak for itself.
Here’s a sobering thought: The IRS is understandably under the microscope these days in the wake of their other lapse in judgment. You know, the one where they targeted a specific political movement that just happened to be opposed to the party in power. People are going through their business with a fine-tooth comb and uncovering all kinds of interesting things.
Well how many other conventions, conferences, Electric Slide competitions and hoe-downs do you think YOU paid for last year? How many other government departments pulled out the old credit card and flew the whole office to Vegas for a weekend of “meetings?”
I’ll concede the need for a meeting or two, even though I have a long-standing hatred for anything and everything that happens in a “conference room.” The problem is the IRS, HUD, Justice Department (and about 100 other groups you and I pay for) think they can act like Google and celebrate by spending on their employees.
I mean, they work hard, hit their goals and deserve the perks, right? WRONG.
NONE of them actually produce anything useful and certainly aren’t capable of operating anywhere near the efficiencies of the private sector. The idea there is a penny extra to spend on travel, catering or off-site meetings would be funny if it weren’t so frustrating.
Next time the IRS wants to hold a convention in New Orleans to plan new ways to screw the American taxpayer (while dancing on Bourbon Street), let’s hope they are forced to do it in the atrium of their offices in Denver. During their lunch hour.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier