Nineteen years ago Friday, Kurt Cobain killed himself by self-inflicted gunshot at his home in Seattle.
For an entire generation of music fans, his band Nirvana spoke to them through its energy, lyrics and attitude.
As a kid working in radio, the influence of Nirvana was immediate and profound. Almost overnight, the “hair bands” that dominated rock music disappeared from the charts and the radio. Bands that spent more time on make-up and costumes than they did writing and performing good music went from playing stadiums to dive bars.
I remember when the lead singer of one of those leather pants wearing/blonde hair flowing bands, upon seeing the Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit” video for the first time, remarked; “It’s over boys.”
Nirvana, through Kurt’s lyrics, sang about the angst, troubles and social issues that mattered to the youth, especially the group that felt nobody listened to or even cared about them. Suddenly, being an outsider, quiet and unsure of yourself, was more acceptable because of Nirvana.
Sadly, Kurt’s struggles with his own demons cut short a musical career and deprived us of a voice that that ran counter to today’s celebrity culture. His inability to deal with the pressures of fame, star worship and the sudden fact that he was now speaking for millions of people were just too much.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier