Before you start on your anti-Twitter rant which, makes you sound A LOT like the neighbor who screams “get off my lawn,” let’s pause to celebrate the seventh anniversary of a rather revolutionary form of communication.
Full disclosure, while not the first person on Twitter, I did join rather early (2008) and am a few postings shy of 7,500 Tweets. I really need a hobby.
At first, like with most new things, we all struggled with how to use Twitter and even I abandoned the service for weeks or months at a time. I didn’t care what someone was having for lunch nor did I find it interesting that their cat just threw up a fur ball. If you think that is what Twitter is about today, you are so… 2010.
Today, Twitter is the default form of communication for athletes, artists and musicians, politicians, and quite honestly, anyone of any importance. Find me someone who proudly states they aren’t on Twitter and I’ll show you someone who is becoming a bit less relevant to the discussion every day.
Twitter has become our town square, chat room and round table … all in 140 characters or less. From a presidential debate to a revolution, from the Grammys to a hurricane making land, Twitter puts the power of communication in the hands of everyone.
The trick, as I’ve found, is how to amplify the important voices while muting the drivel. Follow journalists, opinion makers and scholars and Twitter opens up a world of interesting and thought-provoking content. My Twitter feed is a 24-hour stream of news, opinion and links to stories I would never be able to find on my own. It’s all about where you look.
So count me as one of the well-wishers on Twitter’s seventh birthday! And while it may have taken me some time to get used to, I think Twitter is my most important connection to the world and will continue to be for quite some time.
And should you choose to include me on your list, @BruceStJames is where you can find me!
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas