Jeb Bush sure is sounding like a guy who might run for president in 2016. The younger brother of George W. Bush and former governor of Florida has been mentioned in the past as a possible Republican candidate, but this week he is sounding a bit more serious … by talking about illegal immigration.
In a bit of a change for Mr. Bush, he threw out the idea that as part of any comprehensive immigration reform, we do NOT need to include a path to citizenship. The argument is that not everyone currently in this country illegally even wants to be a U.S. citizen or would apply given the chance.
He cites the immigration reform of 1986 in which half of the people eligible didn’t even bother to apply for citizenship. Granted, there are a variety of reasons for this but it’s safe to assume that many of these illegal immigrants are here to work and earn a living not available in their home country.
They do not wish to learn the national anthem, forgo soccer for baseball and renounce their home citizenship to become an American. They just want to work and feed their families and while I’m sure they would prefer to not be forcibly deported, neither do they want (nor need) a “path to citizenship.”
Is there something in the middle that respects human rights and defends American ideals while acknowledging the need for low-skilled labor and the rule of law?
Jeb Bush makes a pretty solid point when he said, “If we want to create an immigration policy that’s going to work, we can’t continue to make illegal immigration an easier path than legal immigration.”
Let the games begin!
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night