Jeb Bush sure is sounding like a guy who might run for president in 2016. The younger brother of George W. Bush and former governor of Florida has been mentioned in the past as a possible Republican candidate, but this week he is sounding a bit more serious … by talking about illegal immigration.
In a bit of a change for Mr. Bush, he threw out the idea that as part of any comprehensive immigration reform, we do NOT need to include a path to citizenship. The argument is that not everyone currently in this country illegally even wants to be a U.S. citizen or would apply given the chance.
He cites the immigration reform of 1986 in which half of the people eligible didn’t even bother to apply for citizenship. Granted, there are a variety of reasons for this but it’s safe to assume that many of these illegal immigrants are here to work and earn a living not available in their home country.
They do not wish to learn the national anthem, forgo soccer for baseball and renounce their home citizenship to become an American. They just want to work and feed their families and while I’m sure they would prefer to not be forcibly deported, neither do they want (nor need) a “path to citizenship.”
Is there something in the middle that respects human rights and defends American ideals while acknowledging the need for low-skilled labor and the rule of law?
Jeb Bush makes a pretty solid point when he said, “If we want to create an immigration policy that’s going to work, we can’t continue to make illegal immigration an easier path than legal immigration.”
Let the games begin!
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier