It’s hard enough to find a job these days, and for many people the promise of medical benefits is a huge factor in choosing or changing employers.
Well, guess what? Employers know this, benefits costs continue to go through the roof and according to a recent business survey, 15 percent of employers require workers to undergo biometric screenings, have their waistlines measured and literally put on a scale. That number is only going to go up.
The argument is you must first diagnose the problem before you can address it, and that seems reasonable. What might be obvious to others is still a mystery to some people, although I’d argue a XXXL shirt is a good indicator of a larger issue.
After all, if you aren’t going to take responsibility for your health, why should your employer be on the hook financially? And while I do not think it serves the greater good to punish people for bad numbers on a scale or test, I would like to see more companies reward employees for achieving health goals or maintaining their health with lower premiums or bonuses.
Like it or not, the days of the “free ride” are rapidly coming to an end and each of us will be a lot more invested in our health costs. You can thank the Affordable Care Act and the law of unintended consequences for that.
And to be clear, I will defend your right to drink, smoke and supersize every meal you have but I cannot defend your belief that I should have to pay for it.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.