Just another day at the office for our elected leaders as they forgo the job of managing and leading our nation and resort to name calling and “blame-storming,” the practice of throwing names on a board until one of them strikes everyone as the perfect person to blame for the current mess.
Since my grasp of math is tenuous at best, I needed a simple way to understand these “draconian” cuts of $85 billion (with a b!) that will impact every man, woman and child and lead to mass starvation, expose us to foreign military attack and cause economic collapse. Or not.
The current federal budget (and yes, I know Congress hasn’t formally passed one in four years) is $3.8 trillion (with a t!). The sequestration cuts are $85 billion. Carry the zeros…it’s 2.4 percent and (I hope you are sitting down for this) that’s after the Federal Budget increased 8 percent year-to-year. So basically, these “horrible” cuts do nothing to reduce government spending and only cut the rate of growth from 8 percent to 6 percent.
While there is little argument that cutting like this may not be the best way to reign in federal spending, the claims of an “end of days” scenario are fantasy at best, just like the concept that Congress would ever cut anything voluntarily, especially if it cost any of them even one vote.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy