A bill working its way through the Arizona Legislature would allow school employees to carry (and by extension) use guns on campus if faced with an armed threat.
Predictably, the “what if” scenarios sprang forth with hyperbole and demonization coming from both sides of the debate. I do not claim to know if guns on campus would prevent or cause the next school shooting, but here’s what we do know: The genesis of the latest round of gun control/gun advocacy conversation is a result of the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut. “If” this is the example of school violence, let’s look at what worked and what didn’t work.
1. We learned today that police have gathered evidence that the shooter was obsessed by mass killings and specifically chose Sandy Hook Elementary it was “the easiest target” with “the largest cluster of people”.
2. By all accounts the school was reasonably secure with modernized locks, gates and limited access points. The shooter used a firearm to blast through glass and gain access.
3. Once inside, the shooter had a nearly unobstructed path to kill and harm unarmed adults and children, and did so to a sickening level.
4. According to the information released to date, police arrived roughly 20 minutes after the initial 9-1-1 call of shots fired inside the school.
5. The shooter, upon seeing the armed police presence, takes his own life as opposed to engaging or surrendering to police.
This scenario is not that unusual from the point that mass killers go about killing until they are faced with an equal threat (read: somebody else with a gun). Substitute Sandy Hook for Columbine, Virginia Tech or any number of these horrific events and some common threads start to show appear. Shooters chose areas where they thought there was a large amount of potential targets that would pose little to no resistance and the minute they were met with resistance they took their own lives.
I can understand the argument for continuing to ban guns from schools, but in doing so realize the message sent to would-be criminals is the same message the shooters in these other school shootings got loud and clear.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths