The President called for a raise in the minimum wage during his State Of The Union speech and elicited the predictable cheers from Democrats and head shaking from Republicans.
I wondered just how many people actually work for the minimum wage to better understand the effect it has on workers. The results were nothing short of eye opening.
According to the Bureau Of Labor Statistics from 2011), there are 73.9 million Americans who work for an hourly wage, making up 59.1 percent of the labor force. Of those, 1.7 million earned the exact federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, which works out to 2.3 percent of hourly workers are paid “minimum wage.”
This begs the question, why on Earth do 97.7 percent of employers OVERPAY their hourly workers?
I mean, the minimum wage is there to prevent slave labor and “evil” business from taking advantage of the “working man/woman,” so why aren’t they taking more advantage? Do you mean to tell me that some (read 97.7 percent) of employers voluntarily choose to compete for workers’ labor and skills and do so by offering increased wages? You mean capitalism works, without government interference? Try telling that to President Obama and the Congressional Democrats who are trying to save the 2.3 percent of you being taken advantage of.
And if you are one of the 2.3 percent making $7.25 an hour, might I suggest asking your co-workers how they managed to create value for themselves in your employer’s eyes, as opposed to waiting for government to save you.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona