The President called for a raise in the minimum wage during his State Of The Union speech and elicited the predictable cheers from Democrats and head shaking from Republicans.
I wondered just how many people actually work for the minimum wage to better understand the effect it has on workers. The results were nothing short of eye opening.
According to the Bureau Of Labor Statistics from 2011), there are 73.9 million Americans who work for an hourly wage, making up 59.1 percent of the labor force. Of those, 1.7 million earned the exact federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, which works out to 2.3 percent of hourly workers are paid “minimum wage.”
This begs the question, why on Earth do 97.7 percent of employers OVERPAY their hourly workers?
I mean, the minimum wage is there to prevent slave labor and “evil” business from taking advantage of the “working man/woman,” so why aren’t they taking more advantage? Do you mean to tell me that some (read 97.7 percent) of employers voluntarily choose to compete for workers’ labor and skills and do so by offering increased wages? You mean capitalism works, without government interference? Try telling that to President Obama and the Congressional Democrats who are trying to save the 2.3 percent of you being taken advantage of.
And if you are one of the 2.3 percent making $7.25 an hour, might I suggest asking your co-workers how they managed to create value for themselves in your employer’s eyes, as opposed to waiting for government to save you.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets