What we need are more gun laws and regulations!
Wait, we have how many on the books?
While it’s almost impossible to count the exact number of state and federal statutes regarding guns, the widely agreed upon estimate is 20,000 laws directly pertaining to the manufacture, sale and/or use of a firearm.
President Barack Obama announced Wednesday a new task force headed by Vice President Joe Biden that will offer suggestions and solutions to last Friday’s massacre in Connecticut. Granted, I have no idea what they will come up with, but it’s a safe bet that when tasked with “do something,” the panel will return with some form of new regulations or laws regarding guns. It’s the obvious, and dare I say “safe” thing for them to come back with since government believes it can solve the ills of the people with a swipe of a pen.
I think the fundamental problem I have with the talks of new gun regulation and laws is that none of the proposed policies (short of a complete ban on the possession of firearms) would have prevented Friday’s shootings.
The rifle used was perfectly legal, even under Connecticut’s strict anti-assault weapon laws. None of the guns were purchased under the table at a gun show or from a private seller. The shooter did not avoid a criminal background or physiological check.
I haven’t seen one proposal, that if in place last week, would have stopped a deranged person from stealing a gun and using it to commit the crimes.
It makes me uncomfortable that the anti-gun crowd would use the tragedy of Sandy Hook to further their own agenda, knowing that nothing they propose would have prevented it.
There are sensible gun owners and sensible non-gun owners who can agree that there is some need for regulation when it comes to firearms. But the groups crowing the loudest about people like the National Rifle Association having “blood on its hands” have vacated the moral high ground when they use the blood of 20 school children to push their own beliefs.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food