They don’t have enough money. This notion that you can cut your way to prosperity continues to do damage, and Kansas is the latest victim. In 2012, Kansas cut taxes on the theory that it would boost the economy and that would more than make up for the lost revenue. Nope. Job growth in Kansas hasn’t kept up with the national average, and the state took in less in tax revenue than expected in the latest fiscal year.
The plan was to boost those job-creating small businesses we hear about all the time. You don’t have to be an economist to see the flaw in the plan. What helps any business is demand, not necessarily lower taxes. If I owned a small business that made widgets, and suddenly my taxes went to zero, I’m not going to hire more people or buy new equipment to make widgets that will just sit in a warehouse. The same principal applies no matter how big or small the tax cut is.
I hope politicians who are wedded to this ideology that lower taxes solve all problems will get the message that economics is complicated, and simplistic solutions never work.
On a brighter note, at least we can credit Kansas Gov. Sam Brownbeck with uniting the left and right. Analysts with the left-leaning Center on Budget and Policy Priorities and the-right leaning Tax Foundation agree the Kansas tax reform plan is the worst in the nation.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food