It’s perfect here for spring training, but worldwide, it’s getting wild. Here in the west, we’re in a persistent drought. To our east, it’s been brutally cold and snowy. In Alaska and Scandinavia, it’s been abnormally warm.
In Australia, they had to postpone Australian Open tennis matches because of the brutal heat. A wave of storms in England has brought widespread flooding. That polar vortex hasn’t been behaving itself and staying where it belongs, over the North Pole.
Is it climate change?
Not necessarily, as any scientist will tell you. We can’t yet link any single storm or season to climate change, but they will tell the weather we’ve been having is indicative of what we can expect as the planet continues to warm.
The signs are very worrisome. The arctic is warming faster than the rest of the planet, and that warming will probably accelerate as more reflective ice is lost and the ocean is able to absorb more heat from the sun. Some scientists now expect the arctic to be ice free in the summer sometime between 2020 and 2030.
At the recent meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, four scientists presented findings at a symposium called Santa’s Revenge: The Impacts of Arctic Warming on the Mid-Latitudes.
The debate over climate change should have ended a long time ago. I think now it’s too late, and we’re going to experience first-hand what all that extra carbon dioxide we’ve pumped into the atmosphere is going to do. I don’t think it’s going to be pretty.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns