“Shocking Percentage of Americans Don’t Know This Basic Fact.” That’s Huffington Post’s breathless headline about the latest National Science Foundation survey of attitudes about and knowledge of science and technology.
The “basic fact” in question is that the Earth orbits around the sun, but 26 percent of Americans think the sun orbits around the earth.
If you actually read the NSF report, you’ll find that we aren’t as ignorant as the headline would lead you to believe. 34 percent of those surveyed in the European Union got the answer wrong.
Still, the report makes clear we have a long way to go, especially if we’re serious about focusing on science, technology, engineering and math as our path to success in the 21st century. 42 percent of Americans think astrology is sort of or very scientific.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.