“Shocking Percentage of Americans Don’t Know This Basic Fact.” That’s Huffington Post’s breathless headline about the latest National Science Foundation survey of attitudes about and knowledge of science and technology.
The “basic fact” in question is that the Earth orbits around the sun, but 26 percent of Americans think the sun orbits around the earth.
If you actually read the NSF report, you’ll find that we aren’t as ignorant as the headline would lead you to believe. 34 percent of those surveyed in the European Union got the answer wrong.
Still, the report makes clear we have a long way to go, especially if we’re serious about focusing on science, technology, engineering and math as our path to success in the 21st century. 42 percent of Americans think astrology is sort of or very scientific.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development