As the government shut down drags on and some Republicans insist that the president and Democrats won’t “negotiate” with them, the president called them out.
This is all about a small group of Tea Party Republicans in the House who are adamantly opposed to Obamacare. They huff and puff and wave their copies of the Constitution, but don’t seem to care that the Affordable Care Act is the law of the land, passed by Congress, signed by the president and ruled to be constitutional by the Supreme Court. That’s the way we do business in this country.
Let’s be clear. These folks are small minority and represent only 18 percent of the American population. Because none of them won with 100 percent of the vote in their districts, the real number is probably more like 10 percent. But that’s not why their credibility with me is zero. Right after the 2012 term began, they promised to get all the appropriate committees in the House of Representatives working on a healthcare plan that would be better than Obamacare. They haven’t, even though that’s the way we do business in this country.
At a recent public appearance, the president challenged them on that point, inviting them to improve the law. Thank you, Mr. President. We’re all waiting for their ideas. We’ve been waiting for 20 months.
I’m no expert in healthcare matters but I know the current system is badly broken. People die because they don’t have access to health care. Others go bankrupt because they don’t have insurance. I don’t know if Obamacare is the answer. I do know it’s an answer. I want to see the Republicans’ answer. If it provides better care for more people for less money, I’m on board.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns