As the government shut down drags on and some Republicans insist that the president and Democrats won’t “negotiate” with them, the president called them out.
This is all about a small group of Tea Party Republicans in the House who are adamantly opposed to Obamacare. They huff and puff and wave their copies of the Constitution, but don’t seem to care that the Affordable Care Act is the law of the land, passed by Congress, signed by the president and ruled to be constitutional by the Supreme Court. That’s the way we do business in this country.
Let’s be clear. These folks are small minority and represent only 18 percent of the American population. Because none of them won with 100 percent of the vote in their districts, the real number is probably more like 10 percent. But that’s not why their credibility with me is zero. Right after the 2012 term began, they promised to get all the appropriate committees in the House of Representatives working on a healthcare plan that would be better than Obamacare. They haven’t, even though that’s the way we do business in this country.
At a recent public appearance, the president challenged them on that point, inviting them to improve the law. Thank you, Mr. President. We’re all waiting for their ideas. We’ve been waiting for 20 months.
I’m no expert in healthcare matters but I know the current system is badly broken. People die because they don’t have access to health care. Others go bankrupt because they don’t have insurance. I don’t know if Obamacare is the answer. I do know it’s an answer. I want to see the Republicans’ answer. If it provides better care for more people for less money, I’m on board.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon