It never ends.
There’s yet another story of how the rich and powerful stack the deck and take advantage of their positions.
The University of Michigan conducts a monthly survey of consumers, crunches the numbers, and releases its Consumer Sentiment Index. The report often moves the markets, so getting the information in advance can give you a big leg up if you’re a big market player. Sure enough, the company that has the million dollar a year contract with the university to distribute the report will give you the information early, for a fee.
How early? Are you sitting down? Two seconds. That’s right, two seconds before everyone else. That’s because you don’t get the information, your computer does and on Wall Street these days, thanks to blazingly fast computers and complicated mathematical formulas, that’s an eternity.
The CNBC story on all of this has a stunning example of how long two seconds can be on Wall Street. At exactly 9:54:57.975 AM on May 17 trading spiked in a fund that tracks the S&P 500 stock index. By 9:54:57.985, in just 10 milliseconds, 100,000 shares in the fund had traded hands. By 9:54:58.075, in just 100 milliseconds, the price of the fund jumped from $165.90 to more than $166.06. A half second later (500 milliseconds) there had been more than $40 million in trades. Just for a little perspective, it takes you between 300 and 400 milliseconds to blink your eye.
It’s not just Wall Street. I think our whole fiscal system is broken, and rife with abuses. It was supposed to all be fixed by the Dodd-Frank fiscal reform bill, but the lobbyists for the fat-cats are doing their best (which is pretty good) to gut the bill as its language is turned into actual rules and regulations.
It’s just outrageous.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier