Nelson Mandela does not have a living will. The final days of this man’s extraordinary life involve an array of medical devices that keep him alive, but not living. I don’t know if that was his wish, and apparently no one else does either, because he didn’t make his wishes clear before he lost the ability to communicate.
That’s not how I want to spend my final days, and I have made it explicitly clear in legal documents and in discussions with my family. I want to die as my father-in-law did last year. He put up a good fight against liver cancer, but when it became clear it was a fight he couldn’t win, treatment stopped. Instead of feeling sick every day from chemotherapy that might have given him a few extra months, he wanted to enjoy his last days as fully as possible.
He did. There is a video of him at home playing the piano and singing just a week before he passed. I spent time with him and one of his sons in those final days laughing, joking and teasing the way guys do. He was surrounded by family and supported by a wonderful hospice nurse who helped us all travel with him to his peaceful end, in his home, in his bed.
If you haven’t made your wishes clear, and aren’t sure what happens in the hospital when you don’t, a group of doctors has put up a web site that will guide you through the procedures that may be used to prolong your life. Talk to your doctor. Talk with your family. Prepare a living will.
Death comes to us all, but there are choices we can make about how we come to death.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy