PHOENIX — Both Arizona and California are in droughts, but one state’s water management system is better adapted to dry conditions.
“We are in a drought in Arizona,” Dr. Michael Lacey, director of the Arizona Department of Water Resources, told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Wednesday. “It is not as dire as it is in California.”
The difference is that Arizona’s system is much more resilient and has very productive aquifers.
“We store water when its available in excess of our needs and then we slowly deliver that water and try to reserve as much of it as we can for future use,” said Lacey.
However, a successful management system does not mean Arizona is immune from droughts. Some estimates say the Colorado River System, including lakes Powell and Mead, could see shortages as soon at 2016. Lacey said the state, which has the lowest water priority of the system, is prepared.
“That shortage will not be dire for the state because of a lot of planning efforts and a lot of work we’ve done already,” he said.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident