PHOENIX — Both Arizona and California are in droughts, but one state’s water management system is better adapted to dry conditions.
“We are in a drought in Arizona,” Dr. Michael Lacey, director of the Arizona Department of Water Resources, told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Wednesday. “It is not as dire as it is in California.”
The difference is that Arizona’s system is much more resilient and has very productive aquifers.
“We store water when its available in excess of our needs and then we slowly deliver that water and try to reserve as much of it as we can for future use,” said Lacey.
However, a successful management system does not mean Arizona is immune from droughts. Some estimates say the Colorado River System, including lakes Powell and Mead, could see shortages as soon at 2016. Lacey said the state, which has the lowest water priority of the system, is prepared.
“That shortage will not be dire for the state because of a lot of planning efforts and a lot of work we’ve done already,” he said.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident