Even if you didn’t have time for the ceremonies in Prescott Valley carried live Tuesday, I’m sure you’ve seen or heard some part of the services replayed since.
Moving, deeply emotional, often heartbreaking and certainly never to be forgotten in our lifetime. For more than a week I’ve been struggling with any answer to the questions that we’ve all asked: How do the families cope with the suddenness and immensity of their loss? What do they tell the kids, most of whom are too young to comprehend the reality of someone being gone forever?
How will Brendan McDonough handle the complexities that are attached to the phrase “sole survivor?” And, can there be any possible value, any legacy attached to the loss of the 19 Granite Mountain Hotshots?
Perhaps. For quite a while now I’ve noticed a genuine respect shown by the general public toward our people in uniform.
The phrase “Thank you for your service” is regularly shared with those who have ever spent time in the military. Could the Yarnell Hill tragedy be the etched memory that reminds us to offer the same gratitude to the firefighters and police officers we meet? We could start now.
Thank you, hotshots … rest well.
I’m Pat McMahon.
For volunteer, fundraising and other ways to assist those affected by the Yarnell Hill Fire, go to yarnellfallenfirefighters.com.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain