Even if you didn’t have time for the ceremonies in Prescott Valley carried live Tuesday, I’m sure you’ve seen or heard some part of the services replayed since.
Moving, deeply emotional, often heartbreaking and certainly never to be forgotten in our lifetime. For more than a week I’ve been struggling with any answer to the questions that we’ve all asked: How do the families cope with the suddenness and immensity of their loss? What do they tell the kids, most of whom are too young to comprehend the reality of someone being gone forever?
How will Brendan McDonough handle the complexities that are attached to the phrase “sole survivor?” And, can there be any possible value, any legacy attached to the loss of the 19 Granite Mountain Hotshots?
Perhaps. For quite a while now I’ve noticed a genuine respect shown by the general public toward our people in uniform.
The phrase “Thank you for your service” is regularly shared with those who have ever spent time in the military. Could the Yarnell Hill tragedy be the etched memory that reminds us to offer the same gratitude to the firefighters and police officers we meet? We could start now.
Thank you, hotshots … rest well.
I’m Pat McMahon.
For volunteer, fundraising and other ways to assist those affected by the Yarnell Hill Fire, go to yarnellfallenfirefighters.com.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier