PHOENIX — Breweries across Arizona are coming together to raise money for the fallen Yarnell firefighters by creating a beer.
The new beer will be called Heroes 19, and will be an American-style ale with 19 types of hops for the 19 firefighters who died in the Yarnell fire.
All revenue from the sale of the beer will go towards the Prescott firefighter’s charity foundation. The Arizona Craft Brewers Guild helped coordinate all of the materials to be donated, and will help in the brewing process as well.
John Nielsen with Prescott Brewing Company agreed to have the beer made at his brewery. One of the victims, Joe Thurston, worked at Prescott Brewing Company for six years. Nielsen said he always knew Thurston’s true passion was firefighting.
“At a moment’s notice he’d just say ‘I’ve got a fire to go to’ so we’d let him go, and he’d go to the fire academy here in Embry Riddle and they’d have that every year,” Nielsen said. “His goal was to be a permanent member of that Granite Mountain hotshots team, and he finally got that opportunity to be a permanent member.”
He said it’s an honor to be involved in the process, and he just wanted to help in any way possible.
“To have these 19 souls taken from us in such a tragic way, so quick, we all want to do something,” Nielsen said.
For volunteer, fundraising and other ways to assist those affected by the Yarnell Hill Fire, go to yarnellfallenfirefighters.com.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food