PHOENIX — Firefighters across the country will observe a moment of silence Wednesday in memory of the 19 colleagues who died in Arizona earlier this week.
The Granite Mountain Hotshot team was nearly wiped out Sunday fighting the Yarnell Fire near Prescott. Only Brendan McDonough, 21, remains.
“Every firefighter across in the county working on wildfires today, at some point during the operational period today, will have a pause,” said Jim Whittington, spokesman for the Southwest Incident Command Team.
The moment of silence will be observed by more than 500 firefighters on-site at Yarnell Hill, where the blaze is contained at 8 percent. About 8,400 acres and 200 structures have burned since a lightning strike set off the fire June 28.
“One of the things that defines the entire wildland firefighting community is
we don’t forget,” Whittington said, adding that crews pay tribute every year to those
who have died in some of the nation’s worst firefighting disasters.
“We will remember this one,” he said of the worst wildland fire tragedy in America since 1933.
The elite crew died when it was unable to escape flames that had abruptly changed direction in gusting winds.
For volunteer, fundraising and other ways to assist those affected by the Yarnell Hill Fire, go to yarnellfallenfirefighters.com.
Associated Press contributed to this article.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America