PRESCOTT, Ariz. — The city of Prescott came together Tuesday night to hold a vigil at Prescott High School to pay their respects to the 19 firefighters who died in action earlier in the week.
Approximately 5,000 people attended and sat in the stands at the football field. Many of the firefighters who died went to the school.
The names of the firefighters were read at sunset and after each name the crowd cheered. Nineteen purple balloons were released to honor the firefighters.
Fred Nelson found words hard to come by.
“My heart is just breaking. We cannot do enough for these families,” he said.
Phil Whitehead echoed that sentiment.
“I was in law enforcement and military service and we’re all brothers. You stand up for each other.”
The families of the fallen firefighters attended the ceremony, as did Brendan McDonough, the lone survivor of the Granite Mountain Hotshot crew.
For volunteer, fundraising and other ways to assist those affected by the Yarnell Hill Fire, go to yarnellfallenfirefighters.com.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development