PRESCOTT, Ariz. — The city of Prescott came together Tuesday night to hold a vigil at Prescott High School to pay their respects to the 19 firefighters who died in action earlier in the week.
Approximately 5,000 people attended and sat in the stands at the football field. Many of the firefighters who died went to the school.
The names of the firefighters were read at sunset and after each name the crowd cheered. Nineteen purple balloons were released to honor the firefighters.
Fred Nelson found words hard to come by.
“My heart is just breaking. We cannot do enough for these families,” he said.
Phil Whitehead echoed that sentiment.
“I was in law enforcement and military service and we’re all brothers. You stand up for each other.”
The families of the fallen firefighters attended the ceremony, as did Brendan McDonough, the lone survivor of the Granite Mountain Hotshot crew.
For volunteer, fundraising and other ways to assist those affected by the Yarnell Hill Fire, go to yarnellfallenfirefighters.com.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy