When it comes to alcohol consumption, the United States seems to be a world away from eastern Europe, though it’s nowhere near as moderate as some countries in the Middle East, according to a recent Wall Street Journal study.
The report examined consumption data from 2010, looking at how many liters of alcohol were consumed by those aged 15 years in older.
Belarus led the world, averaging 17.5 liters consumed per capita, while Pakistan’s 0.1-liter mark ranked the lowest.
Other eastern European countries like Moldova, Lithuania, Russia, Romania, Ukraine, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Serbia, Grenada, Latvia and Croatia all ranked in the top 18.
The U.S., meanwhile, came in at 48th on the list, with an average consumption of 9.2 liters among those who were 15 or older in 2010. Cyprus and Sweden consumed the same amount per capita.
Notably, France ranked 19th, Australia 20th, the United Kingdom 25th and Canada came in at 40th.
Countries like Libya, Kuwait, Mauritania, Sudia Arabia, Yemen, Egypt, Iraq, Bhutan, Jordan, Afghanistan, Oman and Iran all averaged consumption of 1 liter or less.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments