When it comes to alcohol consumption, the United States seems to be a world away from eastern Europe, though it’s nowhere near as moderate as some countries in the Middle East, according to a recent Wall Street Journal study.
The report examined consumption data from 2010, looking at how many liters of alcohol were consumed by those aged 15 years in older.
Belarus led the world, averaging 17.5 liters consumed per capita, while Pakistan’s 0.1-liter mark ranked the lowest.
Other eastern European countries like Moldova, Lithuania, Russia, Romania, Ukraine, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Serbia, Grenada, Latvia and Croatia all ranked in the top 18.
The U.S., meanwhile, came in at 48th on the list, with an average consumption of 9.2 liters among those who were 15 or older in 2010. Cyprus and Sweden consumed the same amount per capita.
Notably, France ranked 19th, Australia 20th, the United Kingdom 25th and Canada came in at 40th.
Countries like Libya, Kuwait, Mauritania, Sudia Arabia, Yemen, Egypt, Iraq, Bhutan, Jordan, Afghanistan, Oman and Iran all averaged consumption of 1 liter or less.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets