Former big league pitcher Lefty Gomez famously said during his career that he’d ‘rather be lucky than good.’
It’s safe to say Dutch cyclist Maarten de Jonge probably agrees with Gomez.
After all, he’s cheated death twice with in a span of just a few short months.
According to BuzzFeed.com, de Jonge was supposed to be on Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 traveling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. That plane, carrying 12 crew members and 227 passengers, tragically disappeared over the Indian Ocean on March 8.
But not wanting to stop on his way to a race in Taiwan, de Jonge elected to purchase tickets for another flight at the last minute and never boarded MH370.
This week, he was scheduled to be a passenger on Malaysia Airlines Flight 17, however once again the 29-year-old decided to change his plans and booked a cheaper flight taking off at a later time.
MH17 was shot down Thursday while flying over eastern Ukraine. All 298 passengers and 15 crew members were killed.
de Jonge released the following statement on his website:
“How happy I am for myself and my family that I was on this flight and did not take it the last moment; my story is ultimately nothing compared to the misery in which so many people are dead. Attention should be paid to the victims and survivors. Wishing everyone affected by this disaster a lot of strength.”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas