Former big league pitcher Lefty Gomez famously said during his career that he’d ‘rather be lucky than good.’
It’s safe to say Dutch cyclist Maarten de Jonge probably agrees with Gomez.
After all, he’s cheated death twice with in a span of just a few short months.
According to BuzzFeed.com, de Jonge was supposed to be on Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 traveling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. That plane, carrying 12 crew members and 227 passengers, tragically disappeared over the Indian Ocean on March 8.
But not wanting to stop on his way to a race in Taiwan, de Jonge elected to purchase tickets for another flight at the last minute and never boarded MH370.
This week, he was scheduled to be a passenger on Malaysia Airlines Flight 17, however once again the 29-year-old decided to change his plans and booked a cheaper flight taking off at a later time.
MH17 was shot down Thursday while flying over eastern Ukraine. All 298 passengers and 15 crew members were killed.
de Jonge released the following statement on his website:
“How happy I am for myself and my family that I was on this flight and did not take it the last moment; my story is ultimately nothing compared to the misery in which so many people are dead. Attention should be paid to the victims and survivors. Wishing everyone affected by this disaster a lot of strength.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them