Former big league pitcher Lefty Gomez famously said during his career that he’d ‘rather be lucky than good.’
It’s safe to say Dutch cyclist Maarten de Jonge probably agrees with Gomez.
After all, he’s cheated death twice with in a span of just a few short months.
According to BuzzFeed.com, de Jonge was supposed to be on Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 traveling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. That plane, carrying 12 crew members and 227 passengers, tragically disappeared over the Indian Ocean on March 8.
But not wanting to stop on his way to a race in Taiwan, de Jonge elected to purchase tickets for another flight at the last minute and never boarded MH370.
This week, he was scheduled to be a passenger on Malaysia Airlines Flight 17, however once again the 29-year-old decided to change his plans and booked a cheaper flight taking off at a later time.
MH17 was shot down Thursday while flying over eastern Ukraine. All 298 passengers and 15 crew members were killed.
de Jonge released the following statement on his website:
“How happy I am for myself and my family that I was on this flight and did not take it the last moment; my story is ultimately nothing compared to the misery in which so many people are dead. Attention should be paid to the victims and survivors. Wishing everyone affected by this disaster a lot of strength.”
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever