A 93-year-old D-Day veteran jumped Friday in the skies over Normandy to mark 70 years since he first deployed as part of the world’s largest invasion force.
CNN featured Jim “Pee Wee” Martin, an original member of the 101st Airborne, a paratropper division dropped behind enemy lines just hours before the land invasion of northern France.
“Everybody (was) scared all the time, and if they tell you anything differently they are full of crap,” the former paratrooper recalled. “But you just do what you had to do regardless of it. That’s the difference.”
While he served overseas, Martin fought in Operation Market Garden, which freed the Netherlands from Nazi rule, and the Battle of the Bulge, a major counteroffensive that saw the 101st Airborne, including Martin, surrounded in the French town of Bastogne. World War II ended while he was in Berchtesgaden, the site of Hitler’s famed “Eagle’s Nest.”
If the plot sounds familiar, it is. Martin, who served in G Company, took a similar route through Europe as E Company, the focus of the HBO miniseries “Band of Brothers.”
On Friday, Martin, one of the few surviving members of the D-Day jump, again leaped from a plane over Normandy.
“It didn’t (compare),” Martin said, “because there wasn’t anybody shooting at me.”
Martin landed safely and with a smile on his face.
“I’m feeling fine,” Martin told reporters moments after landing in a French field. “… It was wonderful, absolutely wonderful.”
Martin, who lives in Ohio, said he plans to make the jump again should he be in Normandy next year. He plans to keep people updated via his Facebook page.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development