A 93-year-old D-Day veteran jumped Friday in the skies over Normandy to mark 70 years since he first deployed as part of the world’s largest invasion force.
CNN featured Jim “Pee Wee” Martin, an original member of the 101st Airborne, a paratropper division dropped behind enemy lines just hours before the land invasion of northern France.
“Everybody (was) scared all the time, and if they tell you anything differently they are full of crap,” the former paratrooper recalled. “But you just do what you had to do regardless of it. That’s the difference.”
While he served overseas, Martin fought in Operation Market Garden, which freed the Netherlands from Nazi rule, and the Battle of the Bulge, a major counteroffensive that saw the 101st Airborne, including Martin, surrounded in the French town of Bastogne. World War II ended while he was in Berchtesgaden, the site of Hitler’s famed “Eagle’s Nest.”
If the plot sounds familiar, it is. Martin, who served in G Company, took a similar route through Europe as E Company, the focus of the HBO miniseries “Band of Brothers.”
On Friday, Martin, one of the few surviving members of the D-Day jump, again leaped from a plane over Normandy.
“It didn’t (compare),” Martin said, “because there wasn’t anybody shooting at me.”
Martin landed safely and with a smile on his face.
“I’m feeling fine,” Martin told reporters moments after landing in a French field. “… It was wonderful, absolutely wonderful.”
Martin, who lives in Ohio, said he plans to make the jump again should he be in Normandy next year. He plans to keep people updated via his Facebook page.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food