Filmmaker and adventurer Dean Potter has done his share of BASE jumps, but he brought his dog along for the ride on his latest descent.
National Geographic posted video of Potter’s newest BASE jump on Tuesday, and the footage is not for the faint of heart. If you’re wondering why BASE is in all caps, it’s because it is an acronym, standing for building, antenna, span (bridge or beam) and Earth — the four surfaces off which people try to pull a death-defying leap.
Potter chooses the latter, Earth, for his latest jump, and his dog, Whisper, accompanies him in a backpack on the way down.
To Potter, the jump is probably a piece of cake. To his dog, now that’s no walk in the park. It does, however, look like Whisper has complete faith in his owner as the two start the dive in a wingsuit and then deploy a parachute.
It’s worth noting that Potter’s friend, Sean Leary, died two months ago in Utah while the two were doing a wingsuit BASE jump, as reported by the San Francisco Chronicle, so this latest stunt was probably personal for Potter.
If you can’t get enough of these BASE jump videos, here’s one we shared last month of two daredevils who leaped off the world’s tallest building.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night