Filmmaker and adventurer Dean Potter has done his share of BASE jumps, but he brought his dog along for the ride on his latest descent.
National Geographic posted video of Potter’s newest BASE jump on Tuesday, and the footage is not for the faint of heart. If you’re wondering why BASE is in all caps, it’s because it is an acronym, standing for building, antenna, span (bridge or beam) and Earth — the four surfaces off which people try to pull a death-defying leap.
Potter chooses the latter, Earth, for his latest jump, and his dog, Whisper, accompanies him in a backpack on the way down.
To Potter, the jump is probably a piece of cake. To his dog, now that’s no walk in the park. It does, however, look like Whisper has complete faith in his owner as the two start the dive in a wingsuit and then deploy a parachute.
It’s worth noting that Potter’s friend, Sean Leary, died two months ago in Utah while the two were doing a wingsuit BASE jump, as reported by the San Francisco Chronicle, so this latest stunt was probably personal for Potter.
If you can’t get enough of these BASE jump videos, here’s one we shared last month of two daredevils who leaped off the world’s tallest building.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again