Stare into the looking glass and what do you see?
BuzzFeed arranged an experiment where a few young adults got a chance to look into the mirror and speak candidly about their appearance on camera.
What the participants didn’t know, however, is that there were a few people on the other side who were gathering first impressions of each of the experimentees. Both sides could not hear each other during the experiment.
The video has garnered more than 1.1 million views on YouTube since being posted last month.
What the clip shows is that people often look at themselves and first notice their imperfections, while worrying about how they’re viewed by others. The group behind the two-way mirror, though, was much more complimentary of the insecure Millennials than they were of themselves.
A few days later, those who had to stand in front of the mirror were invited back to watch film of the comments from the other side. They seemed relieved, if not elated, to hear such praise.
“The mirror lies, man!” as one of them says in the clip. “Yeah, don’t trust the mirror.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food