Stare into the looking glass and what do you see?
BuzzFeed arranged an experiment where a few young adults got a chance to look into the mirror and speak candidly about their appearance on camera.
What the participants didn’t know, however, is that there were a few people on the other side who were gathering first impressions of each of the experimentees. Both sides could not hear each other during the experiment.
The video has garnered more than 1.1 million views on YouTube since being posted last month.
What the clip shows is that people often look at themselves and first notice their imperfections, while worrying about how they’re viewed by others. The group behind the two-way mirror, though, was much more complimentary of the insecure Millennials than they were of themselves.
A few days later, those who had to stand in front of the mirror were invited back to watch film of the comments from the other side. They seemed relieved, if not elated, to hear such praise.
“The mirror lies, man!” as one of them says in the clip. “Yeah, don’t trust the mirror.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development