Long before “Game of Thrones” and Medieval Times restaurants, there were the real Medieval times — and they’re back.
Poland and the USA recently took the gold medal in the longsword event at the 2014 Medieval Combat World Championships.
Poland won for the men’s team, while USA won for the women, who were allowed to compete in the championships for the first time.
The bouts are based on real tournaments held during the 14th and 15th centuries, and the rules were actually codified by a royal named King René of Anjou in the early 1400s, NTD.TV reported.
While Medieval tournaments and combat have a reputation for being violent, Australian fighter Martin Cazey said the injury rates are comparable to that of an average rugby tournament.
“Fair play is a big part of this sport, said Cazey. “As soon as the fight is over, we help each other up off the ground, we go and give each other a hug and go and buy a beer for each other.”
Sounds good to me!
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night