Long before “Game of Thrones” and Medieval Times restaurants, there were the real Medieval times — and they’re back.
Poland and the USA recently took the gold medal in the longsword event at the 2014 Medieval Combat World Championships.
Poland won for the men’s team, while USA won for the women, who were allowed to compete in the championships for the first time.
The bouts are based on real tournaments held during the 14th and 15th centuries, and the rules were actually codified by a royal named King René of Anjou in the early 1400s, NTD.TV reported.
While Medieval tournaments and combat have a reputation for being violent, Australian fighter Martin Cazey said the injury rates are comparable to that of an average rugby tournament.
“Fair play is a big part of this sport, said Cazey. “As soon as the fight is over, we help each other up off the ground, we go and give each other a hug and go and buy a beer for each other.”
Sounds good to me!
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets