You know how it goes: You’re just minding your business, swimming 16 miles for charity, when some dolphins show up to protect you from a shark.
It sounds like a fairy tale — or a comic book — but that’s exactly what happened to British long-distance swimmer Adam Walker on April 22.
According to The Huffington Post, dolphins began swimming with Walker at one leg of his 16-mile swim through New Zealand’s Cook Strait, but when a great white shark appeared beneath him, the group formed a circle around him until the shark swam away.
Walker was swimming the strait as part of the Ocean’s Seven, “a global challenge to complete seven long-distance swims.” He was swimming for — interestingly enough — the nonprofit Whale and Dolphin Conservation. He has one more competition to go.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas