Are you ready to try a new pizza with breaded chicken in place of the dough?
The dish is probably not quite how you’d imagine it, and it won’t be circular shaped, but pizza chain Domino’s will soon be delivering the new concoction to customers all over the nation and abroad.
USA Today reports Domino’s announced plans Monday to begin offering four varieties of an item called Specialty Chicken on April 21.
The dish features pizza toppings baked into a bed of breaded, boneless chicken. It will be part of the pizza giant’s $5.99 value menu.
Domino’s will initially offer the chicken entree in four flavors: Crispy Bacon and Tomato, Spicy Jalepeno and Pineapple, Classic Hot Buffalo and Sweet BBQ Bacon.
CEO J. Patrick Doyle told USA Today that the number of offerings could grow over time, depending on the dish’s popularity.
Restaurant sales of chicken are on a roll. And sales of boneless chicken, in particular, are up 11 percent over the past three years, says NPD Group, the research specialist. Even before the new roll-out, Domino’s already sells more chicken than anything else besides pizza, says Doyle. That includes pasta, salads and soft drinks. It’s sold chicken wings for more than two decades. The key to this new dish, says Doyle, is that it gives consumers a chance to top chicken with the very same ingredients they like to layer on pizza. And for store owners, it doesn’t require stocking extra ingredients — since the toppings already are in the store.
Domino’s has been on a pretty good roll since it changed its pizza recipe back in 2010. It’s domestic same-store sales rose 3.7 percent in the fourth quarter of 2013, and its international same-store sales jumped 7 percent.
Doyle said that the company initially tested out the product with the name “Pizza Chicken,” but that “nobody knew what that was.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths