Are you ready to try a new pizza with breaded chicken in place of the dough?
The dish is probably not quite how you’d imagine it, and it won’t be circular shaped, but pizza chain Domino’s will soon be delivering the new concoction to customers all over the nation and abroad.
USA Today reports Domino’s announced plans Monday to begin offering four varieties of an item called Specialty Chicken on April 21.
The dish features pizza toppings baked into a bed of breaded, boneless chicken. It will be part of the pizza giant’s $5.99 value menu.
Domino’s will initially offer the chicken entree in four flavors: Crispy Bacon and Tomato, Spicy Jalepeno and Pineapple, Classic Hot Buffalo and Sweet BBQ Bacon.
CEO J. Patrick Doyle told USA Today that the number of offerings could grow over time, depending on the dish’s popularity.
Restaurant sales of chicken are on a roll. And sales of boneless chicken, in particular, are up 11 percent over the past three years, says NPD Group, the research specialist. Even before the new roll-out, Domino’s already sells more chicken than anything else besides pizza, says Doyle. That includes pasta, salads and soft drinks. It’s sold chicken wings for more than two decades. The key to this new dish, says Doyle, is that it gives consumers a chance to top chicken with the very same ingredients they like to layer on pizza. And for store owners, it doesn’t require stocking extra ingredients — since the toppings already are in the store.
Domino’s has been on a pretty good roll since it changed its pizza recipe back in 2010. It’s domestic same-store sales rose 3.7 percent in the fourth quarter of 2013, and its international same-store sales jumped 7 percent.
Doyle said that the company initially tested out the product with the name “Pizza Chicken,” but that “nobody knew what that was.”
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments