Are you ready to try a new pizza with breaded chicken in place of the dough?
The dish is probably not quite how you’d imagine it, and it won’t be circular shaped, but pizza chain Domino’s will soon be delivering the new concoction to customers all over the nation and abroad.
USA Today reports Domino’s announced plans Monday to begin offering four varieties of an item called Specialty Chicken on April 21.
The dish features pizza toppings baked into a bed of breaded, boneless chicken. It will be part of the pizza giant’s $5.99 value menu.
Domino’s will initially offer the chicken entree in four flavors: Crispy Bacon and Tomato, Spicy Jalepeno and Pineapple, Classic Hot Buffalo and Sweet BBQ Bacon.
CEO J. Patrick Doyle told USA Today that the number of offerings could grow over time, depending on the dish’s popularity.
Restaurant sales of chicken are on a roll. And sales of boneless chicken, in particular, are up 11 percent over the past three years, says NPD Group, the research specialist. Even before the new roll-out, Domino’s already sells more chicken than anything else besides pizza, says Doyle. That includes pasta, salads and soft drinks. It’s sold chicken wings for more than two decades. The key to this new dish, says Doyle, is that it gives consumers a chance to top chicken with the very same ingredients they like to layer on pizza. And for store owners, it doesn’t require stocking extra ingredients — since the toppings already are in the store.
Domino’s has been on a pretty good roll since it changed its pizza recipe back in 2010. It’s domestic same-store sales rose 3.7 percent in the fourth quarter of 2013, and its international same-store sales jumped 7 percent.
Doyle said that the company initially tested out the product with the name “Pizza Chicken,” but that “nobody knew what that was.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night