Remember the default background image on the desktop of Microsoft Windows XP? It consisted of rolling green hills and a moderately cloudy sky.
Many PC owners may still see the image daily as they turn on their computers, being that some believe XP was the last Windows operating system to work efficiently.
Microsoft recently discontinued offering technical support for XP, even though users are still welcome to host it on their PCs. An estimated 30 percent of the world’s computers still run the operating system.
Last week, the software giant released a nine-minute video that tells the story behind “probably the most-viewed image of the world.”
The “Bliss” image almost looks too good to be real, but conists of an actual piece of scenery north of San Francisco. Charles O’Rear took the picture not far from his home at just the right time — in the right part of the year — in early 1996.
The photo wouldn’t become renowned until 2001, when XP launched. Microsoft bought the image from O’Rear, who tells the story behind it in the following video.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development