Perhaps you have seen — or remember — the posters encouraging American patriotism during majors wars — such as those featuring Uncle Sam and Rosie the Riveter.
The latter represented American women who worked in factories in World War II. You might remember the poster for its bright yellow background and the caricature for her red bandana and flexed bicep. “We Can Do It” was her slogan.
Some real-life “Rosies” were invited to Washington, D.C., last week. The Huffington post says 91-year-old Phyllis Gould and five Rosies from the San Francisco area got to tour the White House and meet the president and vice president.
Gould worked as a shipyard welder during World War II.
The women got hugs from Joe Biden and one of them got a quick kiss on the lips from Barack Obama, who surprised them all with his appearance.
Gould said she had written letters to every president since Bill Clinton requesting a meeting at the White House in recognition of the Rosie’s contributions to the World War II effort; Biden was the first politician to respond.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas