Perhaps you have seen — or remember — the posters encouraging American patriotism during majors wars — such as those featuring Uncle Sam and Rosie the Riveter.
The latter represented American women who worked in factories in World War II. You might remember the poster for its bright yellow background and the caricature for her red bandana and flexed bicep. “We Can Do It” was her slogan.
Some real-life “Rosies” were invited to Washington, D.C., last week. The Huffington post says 91-year-old Phyllis Gould and five Rosies from the San Francisco area got to tour the White House and meet the president and vice president.
Gould worked as a shipyard welder during World War II.
The women got hugs from Joe Biden and one of them got a quick kiss on the lips from Barack Obama, who surprised them all with his appearance.
Gould said she had written letters to every president since Bill Clinton requesting a meeting at the White House in recognition of the Rosie’s contributions to the World War II effort; Biden was the first politician to respond.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food