Straight out of a “Thor” movie plot, the Viking calendar has predicted that the world will end on Saturday.
Ragnarök, or The Twilight of the Gods, is upon us, if recent weather is to be believed, USA Today reported.
Nordic folklore has it that after three freezing winters, when there have been no summers in between, the world will come to an end.
Incidentally, in the Nordic areas, the past two summers have been cold and wet and the winters freezing.
The Jorvik Viking Center in York, England, has embraced the pending apocalypse, even setting up a countdown on its website and hosting its large, annual Viking festival with the final day culminating on Saturday.
Apparently, Heimdallr, the guardian of the Bifrost, blew the mystical Gjallerhorn last year, predicting the end of the world, which will go like this:
There will be an epic battle between the gods, in this case Odin, the Allfather of the gods, along with other major gods including Thor, the god of thunder, Freja, the goddess of love, and Loki, the trickster god.
At the end of the battle, the entire world will sink beneath the waves and all humans will die — except for two, according to folklore.
Those, Liv and Livtrasir, (Life and Lust) will come up from the underworld to repopulate the world.
I guess it’s time to party like it’s 799!
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.