After Bode Miller tied for bronze in the men’s super-G Sunday at the Winter Olympics in Russia, NBC reporter Christin Cooper engaged the alpine ski racer on the slopes to talk about his medal win.
Miller, who at age 36 became the oldest medalist in Olympic alpine history, brought up his late brother early in the interview, and Cooper’s questions centered on that topic from there. Cooper said she noticed Miller “talking to somebody” before starting the race.
Miller choked back tears while answering the next couple of questions about his brother — Chelone, who died in April 2013 — before breaking down completely and being unable to finish the interview.
The skier was eventually consulted by his wife before NBC shifted its coverage from there.
Richard Sandomir of the New York Times says Cooper pushed too far in her questions about Miller’s brother, but to be fair, she may have not brought up the subject if the Olympian hadn’t first.
Miller later told Matt Lauer that he doesn’t blame Cooper for the emotional breakdown. Click here to watch his full interview with Cooper.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night