After Bode Miller tied for bronze in the men’s super-G Sunday at the Winter Olympics in Russia, NBC reporter Christin Cooper engaged the alpine ski racer on the slopes to talk about his medal win.
Miller, who at age 36 became the oldest medalist in Olympic alpine history, brought up his late brother early in the interview, and Cooper’s questions centered on that topic from there. Cooper said she noticed Miller “talking to somebody” before starting the race.
Miller choked back tears while answering the next couple of questions about his brother — Chelone, who died in April 2013 — before breaking down completely and being unable to finish the interview.
The skier was eventually consulted by his wife before NBC shifted its coverage from there.
Richard Sandomir of the New York Times says Cooper pushed too far in her questions about Miller’s brother, but to be fair, she may have not brought up the subject if the Olympian hadn’t first.
Miller later told Matt Lauer that he doesn’t blame Cooper for the emotional breakdown. Click here to watch his full interview with Cooper.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon