After Bode Miller tied for bronze in the men’s super-G Sunday at the Winter Olympics in Russia, NBC reporter Christin Cooper engaged the alpine ski racer on the slopes to talk about his medal win.
Miller, who at age 36 became the oldest medalist in Olympic alpine history, brought up his late brother early in the interview, and Cooper’s questions centered on that topic from there. Cooper said she noticed Miller “talking to somebody” before starting the race.
Miller choked back tears while answering the next couple of questions about his brother — Chelone, who died in April 2013 — before breaking down completely and being unable to finish the interview.
The skier was eventually consulted by his wife before NBC shifted its coverage from there.
Richard Sandomir of the New York Times says Cooper pushed too far in her questions about Miller’s brother, but to be fair, she may have not brought up the subject if the Olympian hadn’t first.
Miller later told Matt Lauer that he doesn’t blame Cooper for the emotional breakdown. Click here to watch his full interview with Cooper.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier