Once again, we looked forward to what advertisers had to offer us during commercial breaks in the Super Bowl, and this year’s slate of ads featured candy, cereal, celebrities and cars, cars, cars.
Judging by social media chatter, the commercials during Super Bowl XLVIII received mixed reviews at best, and poor reception at worst. There were many surprise predicaments and cameos in the ads, but the execution arguably wasn’t there for many of them.
Whether you were underwhelmed by the commercials Sunday or not, let’s take a look at some of the ones that stood out during the game.
James Franco has been in plenty of movies over the last couple of years, so the Super Bowl commercial bonanza wouldn’t feel complete without the presence of the “This is the End” actor, who was promoting the Ford Focus. Comedian Rob Riggle was also in a Focus commercial during the big game, as seen at the beginning of the following clip.
A Scottsdale man put together the following ad for Doritos and was one of two winners in a contest held by the chip maker.
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Don Cheadle starred in a commercial for Bud Light that aired early in the game. The following two clips are teaser videos for the full commercial.
Celebrities from 1980s, such as Hulk Hogan and Erik Estrada, reigned supreme in a Radio Shack ad.
A Cheerios ad titled “Gracie” seems to be making more noise for featuring an interracial family rather than its heartwarming tone.
Former soccer stud David Beckham starts out an H&M commercial wearing not very much, and finishes it wearing even less. If this isn’t a fan favorite among women, it’s hard to tell what would be.
Comedian/former football player Terry Crews stars with Muppets in the following odd Toyota commercial.
John Stamos starred in a Greek yogurt commercial that say him reunite with two former “Full House” cast members — Bob Saget and Dave Coulier.
One of the funnier commercials was an Audi ad that showed a small dog with a large head. It also was funny for its feature of singer Sarah McLachlan, who pokes fun at her role as an ASPCA spokeswoman.
Another high point in the run of commercials had Laurence Fishburne reprising his role as Morpheus from “The Matrix.” Be prepared to lose it when Fisburne starts singing opera and cars starts levitating and exploding around him.
Other noteworthy ads were Jerry Seinfeld and Jason Alexander promoting Seinfield’s new web series, and race car driver Danica Patrick all beefed up and running the streets with a bunch of bodybuilders for Go Daddy. There were also several short teasers for the return of “24” showing throughout the game that crescendoed with a full-length ad starring Kiefer Sutherland, but we haven’t been able to find any of the above posted on YouTube yet.
And, while not technically an ad, it was great seeing action man Kurt Russell do the television introduction for both teams before the Super Bowl kicked off.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them