It’s safe to say that every skydiver’s biggest fear is a parachute that won’t open.
But what about not being conscious to open it yourself?
That’s what happened to a skydiver in Wiltshire, England in July 2013 in an incident that was captured on video and obtained by ABC news this week. In the video below, 25-year-old James Lee is knocked unconscious when another jumper’s leg hits him in the back of the head in midair.
Then, after some of the other jumpers sensed that something was wrong, they tried getting Lee to respond to hand signals. And after he didn’t, they safely positioned his body and pulled his parachute.
Skydivers fall at an average of about 120 mph, and Lee jumped from about 12,500 feet.
It’s easy to see how this could have turned into a catastrophic mishap, but thanks to the quick thinking of Lee’s fellow jumpers, no one is writing that story.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns