It’s safe to say that every skydiver’s biggest fear is a parachute that won’t open.
But what about not being conscious to open it yourself?
That’s what happened to a skydiver in Wiltshire, England in July 2013 in an incident that was captured on video and obtained by ABC news this week. In the video below, 25-year-old James Lee is knocked unconscious when another jumper’s leg hits him in the back of the head in midair.
Then, after some of the other jumpers sensed that something was wrong, they tried getting Lee to respond to hand signals. And after he didn’t, they safely positioned his body and pulled his parachute.
Skydivers fall at an average of about 120 mph, and Lee jumped from about 12,500 feet.
It’s easy to see how this could have turned into a catastrophic mishap, but thanks to the quick thinking of Lee’s fellow jumpers, no one is writing that story.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development