Generally speaking, it’s probably a bad idea to threaten someone in front of cameras. That are rolling.
And yet Rep. Michael Grimm, R-N.Y., didn’t seem to care as he threatened to throw a reporter off a balcony at the Capitol after Tuesday night’s State of the Union address said recorded threat is going viral.
New York cable TV reporter Michael Scotto asked Grimm about a federal investigation into his campaign finances.
Grimm walked away but came back after Scotto signed off. He got in the reporter’s face and said, “You ever do that to me again I’ll throw you off this (expletive) balcony.” He also threatened to “break (Scotto) in half.”
The Associated Press reported that Grimm released a statement that he was “extremely annoyed” with Scotto and probably wasn’t the “first member of Congress to tell off a reporter.”
An update on Wednesday from NY1 News said that Grimm has now apologized to Scotto via phone call, “after initially saying he did nothing wrong.”
“I apologized. I called Michael Scotto. He was very gracious and accepted my apology,” Grimm said. “We’re going to have lunch sometime next week and just make sure this is all behind us.”
Grimm, a former Marine, grew up in Queens, NY.
Let’s start the “leave the gun, take the cannoli” jokes.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.