One mile along the 450 miles that span Interstate 70 from west to east in Colorado continues to get a lot of intention — the kind the Department of Transportation is hoping to curb.
According to the Denver Post, the 420th mile of I-70 — which resides just east of Stratton — continues to have its marker stolen by ‘stoners’ who find symbolize in the number.
So, the CDOT has resorted to some unique measures to put an end to market theft: instead of a marker at the 420th mile, one now stands at the 419.99th mile.
CDOT spokeswoman Amy Ford confirmed Friday that a photo of the unusual mile-marker sign floating around the Internet is real.
“Obviously people steal these signs,” CDOT spokeswoman Amy Ford said. “In the past, if a sign was stolen too much, we wouldn’t replace it. This is sort of an innovative way for us to keep the sign there.”
As the Denver Post noted, this is not the first time CDOT has had to replace a mile marker.
Previously, the Mile 69 sign west of Fort Collins was changed to the Mile 68.5 sign after similar symbolic acts of thievery.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development