One mile along the 450 miles that span Interstate 70 from west to east in Colorado continues to get a lot of intention — the kind the Department of Transportation is hoping to curb.
According to the Denver Post, the 420th mile of I-70 — which resides just east of Stratton — continues to have its marker stolen by ‘stoners’ who find symbolize in the number.
So, the CDOT has resorted to some unique measures to put an end to market theft: instead of a marker at the 420th mile, one now stands at the 419.99th mile.
CDOT spokeswoman Amy Ford confirmed Friday that a photo of the unusual mile-marker sign floating around the Internet is real.
“Obviously people steal these signs,” CDOT spokeswoman Amy Ford said. “In the past, if a sign was stolen too much, we wouldn’t replace it. This is sort of an innovative way for us to keep the sign there.”
As the Denver Post noted, this is not the first time CDOT has had to replace a mile marker.
Previously, the Mile 69 sign west of Fort Collins was changed to the Mile 68.5 sign after similar symbolic acts of thievery.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy