If taking three months to bike 700 miles across Antarctica has never sounded like an ideal vacation to you, don’t worry, you’re not alone.
But that appealed to one Utah man who, according to KSL-TV in Salt Lake City, is attempting to ride an ice bike to the South Pole.
Dan Burton, who owns a Utah biking store, started the trek in November 2013. He talks to his wife every day via satellite phone so she can update his blog. Burton told the TV station he’s suffered through -40 degree temperatures and rode through whiteouts while traveling 500 miles so far.
Burton has already broken the record for the most miles biked toward the South Pole, and he’ll have until Jan. 23 to reach his 700 mile goal, as that’s when the last plane leaves Antarctica for the season.
Imagine getting stranded in Antarctica — talk about a bad ending to a bad vacation.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes