If taking three months to bike 700 miles across Antarctica has never sounded like an ideal vacation to you, don’t worry, you’re not alone.
But that appealed to one Utah man who, according to KSL-TV in Salt Lake City, is attempting to ride an ice bike to the South Pole.
Dan Burton, who owns a Utah biking store, started the trek in November 2013. He talks to his wife every day via satellite phone so she can update his blog. Burton told the TV station he’s suffered through -40 degree temperatures and rode through whiteouts while traveling 500 miles so far.
Burton has already broken the record for the most miles biked toward the South Pole, and he’ll have until Jan. 23 to reach his 700 mile goal, as that’s when the last plane leaves Antarctica for the season.
Imagine getting stranded in Antarctica — talk about a bad ending to a bad vacation.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development