A Minnesota teen named Zach Sobiech found out he had bone cancer when he was 14 and died May 20 at the age of 18. But before he passed, he grabbed the nation’s attention with his story and his music.
Sobiech composed a song called “Clouds” that was uploaded to YouTube and went viral before his death. The late teen’s story is still making an impact apparently, because Friday at the Mall of America in Bloomington, Minn., roughly 5,000 people formed a choir and sung Sobiech’s signature song, according to BuzzFeed.
Local radio station KS95 put the event together, originally calling for 1,000 people to come, but nearly five times that number showed up. Sobiech’s parents took part in the choir, too.
Whether or not you enjoyed the flash mob craze of a couple years ago, you have to admit that a spontaneous public gathering of this magnitude — and with good intentions like these — is quite worthwhile.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development