A Minnesota teen named Zach Sobiech found out he had bone cancer when he was 14 and died May 20 at the age of 18. But before he passed, he grabbed the nation’s attention with his story and his music.
Sobiech composed a song called “Clouds” that was uploaded to YouTube and went viral before his death. The late teen’s story is still making an impact apparently, because Friday at the Mall of America in Bloomington, Minn., roughly 5,000 people formed a choir and sung Sobiech’s signature song, according to BuzzFeed.
Local radio station KS95 put the event together, originally calling for 1,000 people to come, but nearly five times that number showed up. Sobiech’s parents took part in the choir, too.
Whether or not you enjoyed the flash mob craze of a couple years ago, you have to admit that a spontaneous public gathering of this magnitude — and with good intentions like these — is quite worthwhile.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.